Landlord Insurance For Your Rental Property
Thank you for choosing Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Georgia Properties to manage your rental property. Our Management Agreement requires that Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Georgia Properties be added as an "Additional Insured" on your liability insurance. Here are some things to consider when you buy a Landlord policy.
- Make sure it has an All Risks Provision. Basic Landlord policies only cover natural disasters (fire, windstorms, tornadoes, and floods). A policy with an All Risks Provision expands basic coverage to include such things as theft, vandalism, and malicious mischief. This also includes 150% replacement cost of dwelling and personal injury. This means if a tenant abuses a property or you experience a break-in while it is vacant, you are covered. Make sure your policy has an All Risks Provision.
- Many Landlord policies reduce coverage if the property is vacant more than 30 days. Make sure you know what the premium changes to (or what coverage is dropped) if the property is vacant over 30 days.
- Make sure it has a Loss of Use Provision. A Loss of Use Provision means if the house burns down, the insurance company will continue your rent until the house is back in rentable condition.
- Increase your liability coverage. Basic liability coverage on a Landlord policy is $300,000 and this amount meets the standards required by Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Georgia Properties. In today's world, you need more than $300,000 of liability coverage. HomeServices Insurance offers $500,000 or $1,000,000 for pennies in additional premium.
- Consider an Umbrella Liability policy. If you have more than one rental property, you should consider a $1,000,000 umbrella policy that covers everything you own. It is inexpensive and the day may come when you wish you had it.
We are not insurance agents.
You must talk to an insurance agent for reliable information on this subject. These notes are simply guidelines to get you started in the right direction. If you do not have an agent, please feel free to reach out to our business partners at HomeServices Insurance. You can contact Tyler DeGuibert at firstname.lastname@example.org or Nathan Lyles at email@example.com to obtain a free quote. They will be happy to review your current coverage to determine that both you and your property are safeguarded. (If you do have an agent, they are a great resource for a second opinion.)
Insurance For Your Rental Property, Property Management Update
Why you MUST add Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Georgia Properties to your Liability Policy as an "Additional Insured".
- It is standard practice - Most landlord policies automatically include the management company as an additional insured. Some insurers require that you ask for it.
- It costs you nothing - There is No Fee to add Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Georgia Properties to your policy.
- The Management Agreement calls for it - The Management Agreement requires that you add Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices as an additional insured on your liability insurance.
The reason for this is obvious. If a tenant gets hurt on the property, his attorney will find a reason to blame you, Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Georgia Properties, the last contractor that worked on the house, and anyone else they can think of. Your insurance company will come to your (and our) defense if a suit is filed. If you have not added Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Georgia Properties to your policy, do it now!